On January 10th 2017, BBVA launched a new tagline – Creating opportunities.
This was a necessary step to reflect the changes underway at the bank – a transformation BBVA began more than 10 years ago. In just two words, the tagline summarizes the bank’s new purpose:
“To bring the age of opportunity to everyone.”
Following a worldwide pitch, involving 7 agencies, amp was chosen as the leading agency for the development of the BBVA Sound Identity, which reflects this epochal change in the bank's purpose.
The result is a holistic Sound Identity which can be heard at every audible touchpoint of the customer journey.
In Spain, Mexico, USA, and all 35 countries where the brand is present.
- amp winner of a worldwide pitch
- Collaboration with BBVA's global brand and marketing team and with local BBVA marketing and identity teams
- Creation of a Sound DNA and and a Sound Identity for all audible touchpoints of the brand, including TV/Radio commercials, Brand Spaces/Branches, Digital channels (videos and podcasts), online and mobile banking and customer contact centers
- Several market research projects (Spain and major markets) to assess the Sound DNA
- Implementation support with a live launch event and several other activities / workshops
BBVA's new tagline summarizes the bank’s new purpose: “To bring the age of opportunity to everyone.” But what does that mean?
BBVA empowers and advises customers, guiding the way: No matter how rough the sea, no matter the direction. BBVA encourages customers to take new paths and provides them with the tools they need. Creating opportunities.
"Sailing" is representative of BBVA brand values and personality, so this story served as the leitmotiv for the Sound DNA briefing.
- An in-depth study of BBVA, during which the bank’s personality and identity are translated into sound attributes.
- A Sound Branding workshop that resulted in the creative briefing for the following processes
- Development of the Sound DNA
- Assessment of the Sound DNA
- Development of the Sound Identity elements, including various styles for different communication activities: brand, product, institutional, etc.
Scope of Work
You can currently find videos using the Sound DNA, Moods, and other BBVA's Sound Identity elements on BBVA's YouTube Channel:
All brand values together with all other pertinent information from the brand story and the brand purpose were translated into sound attributes.
The Sound DNA was created based on these BBVA sound attributes.
BBVA conducted a survey to assess the Sound DNA. The results were very positive, e.g. high initial association of the music with the new brand purpose.
Excerpt of the elements
Easy Going / Friendly Mood
Dynamic / Upbeat Mood
Emotional / Motivational Mood
Distinguished / Elegant Mood
Behind the scenes
amp's CEO and Head of Creativity & Strategy, Michele Arnese, speaking about the development of the BBVA Sound DNA:
BBVA is a customer-centric global financial services group founded in 1857. BBVA has a presence in 35 countries, more than 136,000 employees and 70 million customers worldwide. BBVA enjoys a solid leadership position in the Spanish market is the largest financial institution in Mexico and has leading franchises in South America and the US Sunbelt. Additionally, it has a relevant banking presence in Turkey (through Garanti Bank) and operates an extensive branch network worldwide. Its diversified business is focused on high-growth markets and it relies on technology as a key sustainable competitive advantage. Corporate responsibility is at the core of its business model. BBVA fosters financial education and inclusion, and supports scientific research and culture. It operates with the highest integrity, a long-term vision and applies the best practices.